Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tray Redo

Recently when cleaning out our shed, we stumbled upon this tray. I got very excited because I have been seeing them all over blogland, but never had one or had found the things to make one. So when this showed up out of the blue, I was very excited:

traybefore

traybefore2

The rustic look does not fit with my decor really, so I decided to spray paint it black. First I primed:

trayprimer

Then sprayed black. Which I thought for sure I had a picture of, but I don’t. I’m sure you can imagine.

So next I knew I wanted to line it with some pretty paper, but I wasn’t sure what. I wasn’t confident enough to line it with busy scrapbooking paper because I didn’t know if I would be able to match it up enough. The other day I was at the drugstore and found this wrapping paper:

020

021

And I love it! But I felt it needed more. So let me back up a minute.

Recently I found out that I will be getting 3 chairs from my mother’s previous employer (they are going out of business) and they needed someone to take the chairs. I do not have a picture of them, but they are wood, have a padded seat and back with arm rests. I saw them on my mother’s phone. She stopped by to take a picture for me to see if I wanted them. Oh Yeah! Free chairs to a DIYer…really..do you have to ask?? So I don’t know when I will be getting them, but I have already purchased the fabric:

fabric

I finally get to put some aqua in the house!! WOOHOO!! As you can see by the picture holding up the paper, I have a red wall in my living room. Directly across from that wall, I plan on putting 2 of the chairs, redone with this fabric with a red IKEA Lack table in between:

lack

Seriously for $8, you can’t beat that. So I thought I would put the tray on the table with some knick knacks. I felt the paper on the tray needed some color. In come red and turquoise Sharpies. Then the standard Mod Podge and we have this:

tray

tray3

Sorry these are so dark. I really tried to find a spot in the house that didn’t have toys on it and well, I didn’t luck out. But I think you get the idea. What do you think??

Linking to these wonderful parties this week!

30 comments:

  1. Wow...genius! I wouldn't have thought to color that paper like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The black, red, white, and aqua is just stunning. I'm going to remember that color combination. Would make a pretty quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m following you now on New Friend Friday! Please follow me back on my blog “Inspire!”

    My latest inspirational postings are, “Springtime Beauty,” “The Power,” “The Triumphant Heart,” “Pure Love,” “Peace of Mind,” and “Simple Gesture.”

    Ron

    http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharpies? Genius. I mean, you are a GENIUS! I'm a sucker for black and white and I know I would have left it that way. See...lack of imagination. Sharpies. I can't get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that made a really cute tray.
    Hope you can visit me sometimes over at Pittypat Paperie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am so into trays right now!! i love how this turned out! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tray makeover! It's awesome! Wrapping is a hidden gem, isn't it, and much easier to modgepodge than thick scrapbook paper. Thanks for sharing! ♥Laurie from Scene of the Grime

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! I love the paper you've chosen! This turned out great! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Really cute makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out so pretty! I love aqua and red together.

    Thanks for sharing at Saturday is Crafty Day!
    Laura @ along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is great! I have a Goodwill try just waiting for me to turn it into something like this. Thanks for linking up to Home and Family Friday!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice redo!
    Dropping by from Met Monday, 18ft island kitchen.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh how cute! You colored this with Sharpies! That is so great. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. You did a good job! don't you just love finding treasures in your own backyard! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a truly wonderful transformation. So creative and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it pulls all of your colors in perfectly!! way to go!
    visiting from justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cute! i too love those trays. i've seen some at target but they are a little expensive :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Love it! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That tray will tie everything together so well!

    Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your tray looks fabulous! The wrapping paper idea is genius and Coloring in the circles is so clever. I love the color! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah! Tray redos are the best! Just did one for my roommate's birthday. It's so much fun because you can do an awful lot since they're so small! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good idea!
    I love the fabric for the chairs too.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the great idea. I have just the tray to use! I'm visiting with TRH, hope you visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OOOOO I love it! It turned out darling! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been wanting a tray too! So cool you found one. It turned out great - aren't you so smart to use sharpies! I love the fabric you picked too... can't wait to see the finished chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Clever Idea. And thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is SO cute! I love the graphic pattern. Thanks for linking up to Shop The House Sunday!

    ReplyDelete